- the capability must be ‘embedded’ – so that it delivers profit beyond the life of the project
- there must be a strategic need for knowledge transfer into the business
- there must be a solid business case
- the Partnership must support business, the University and the Associate
- there must be clear additionality – i.e. an area of expertise that company does not have and cannot access easily elsewhere
- KTP is not placement, internship, consultancy or joint research - there are other schemes for these areas of support.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships bring many benefits for the Partners involved
- For the Associate - applied R&D and employment experience for the KTP Associate
- For the Company - financial support and dedicated resource and wider access to the University research base
- For the University knowledge base – application of knowledge and expertise to important business issues and highly relevant input to teaching and research themes
Timescales, Funding and KTP Project Management
Classic KTPs run for 12 – 36 months and aim to address long-term, strategic business issues.
KTPs are part-funded by the Technology Strategy Board and other funding organisations. The full cost is £75k - £90k per annum and for successful applications there is 67% support for SMEs or 50% for larger companies. The company contribution is eligible for R&D Tax Credits.
- The Associate is employed by the University but works full time on the company premises
- The Academic supervisor spends 0.5 days per week at the company
- The Associate manages the project against an agreed project plan
- The Company supervises the Associate as per a normal employee.
- N4Pharma releases interim results
- The Medicines Manufacturing Innovation Centre Collaborates with Applied Materials to Enhance Just In Time Clinical Supply
- Meet our supplier: Perfectus Biomed
- LSTM researchers find an easy alternative to nasal and throat swabbing for SARS-CoV-2 Diagnosis
- Boyds bolsters clinical operations team with appointment of Kathryn Bartley
- Senior Scientist: Upstream Processing (18 month fixed term contract to cover maternity) CBK2220
- Scientist - Upstream Processing Team CBK2120
- GMP Production Leader - Cell Culture and Virus (CBK1820)
- Experienced GMP Downstream Purification Scientist (Ref:CBK4219)
- Experienced GMP Microbial Fermentation Scientist (Ref:CBK3719)