- there must be a clear strategic need for knowledge transfer into the business supported by a a solid business case
- there must be a clear knowledge gap/capability that is vital to achieving the strategic goals
- the capability must be ‘embedded’ into the business partner – so that it delivers impact beyond the life of the project
- there must be clear additionality – i.e. an area of expertise that the business partner does not have and cannot access easily elsewhere
- KTP is not a student placement, internship, consultancy or contract research - there are other schemes for these areas of support
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships bring many benefits for the Partners involved.
A recent programme evaluation of 1,868 business partners and 136 knowledge bases (2010-2020) found:
- £2.2bn net GVA for the period
- £8 GVA for every £1 innovate UK invests
- 94% businesses improved technical skills
- 78% businesses increased productivity
- 77% businesses increased investment
For the Knowledge Base - application of knowledge and expertise to real world technical/business issues and highly relevant input to teaching and research themes.
The programme evaluation (2010-2020) showed that:
- 92% of knowledge bases increased knowledge of industry challenges
- 95% knowledge bases felt KTP left a long-term legacy
- Average of 2 academic papers published per project
Timescales, Funding and KTP Project Management
- Classic KTPs run for 12 – 36 months and aim to address long-term, strategic business issues.
- Management KTPs (MKTPs) typically last up to 24 months and aim to address management or related issues such as productivity, digitisation, business resilience, new business models, among other business process-related issues.
KTPs are part-funded by Innovate UK and supported by several research councils. For more information about the costs, visit the KTP Costing Guidance. The company contribution is eligible for R&D Tax Credits.
- The Associate is employed by the University but works full-time on the company premises
- The Academic team spends the equivalent of 0.5 days per week on the project
- The Associate delivers and manages the project against an agreed project plan
- The Company supervises the Associate as per a normal employee
- Congratulations to the 2023 Bionow Awards nominees!
- Early Career Researchers contributing to the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- Risk Financing in the Life Sciences Industry
- Neobe Therapeutics raises over $2m for synthetic biology enabled tumour microenvironment remodelling
- Sedgefield Community College Students Bring Art to NETPark